Friday, August 5, 2011

 

100-year-old motorist

Perhaps unfairly, elderly drivers have a reputation for being frustrating. The prejudice is that they dawdle on the roads and struggle to even see over the steering wheel.

That’s why it’s nice to see one 100-year-old lady from Dorset confounding these stereotypes.

She started driving before compulsory driving tests even began in the UK, and drove herself to school when she was only 15, but she’s never had an accident and only took an examination to prove she was a capable motorist and get the cost of her insurance reduced.

The vibrant female motorist stated, “I love driving and much prefer it to walking.

“I learnt to drive when I was 15 – the driving test didn't start for another few years and I was already on the road by then.

“The only time I took a test was when I turned 98 and my insurance tried to put the price up – I was furious.

“I decided to take a test myself so I got an examiner to come out.

“…he said he had confidence in me the whole time. I've got the letter to prove it where he says ‘[she] drives as well as a good driver 30-40 years younger than her.’

“They knocked 200 pounds off my insurance, so that was worthwhile.”

She sounds like a real character. Almost unsurprisingly, her vehicle registration plate is reportedly ‘HO0RAH’.

Photo © x-ray delta one via Flickr, under Creative Commons Licence

Labels: , , , , ,


Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home