Tuesday, June 7, 2011

 

One wedding, two motorways and telematics car insurance

Recently, for the first time in my short driving career, I have had to do a long car journey on my own.

After passing my driving test, I mainly just took my car to work – about 15 minutes drive away – or to the shops, and I usually had someone with me.

Although it was great to be able to get to where I wanted to go without having to stand in the rain waiting for the bus, and to be part of the car-sharing scheme at work, I had never really felt that I was using my car to its full potential.

So, when the need arose for me to travel to a friend’s wedding, on my own, I was happy that I was finally going to use my vehicle, and my women’s car insurance, for something a little more adventurous.

But then I realised it would be the first time I would drive on the motorway without my Pass Plus instructor and I got a bit panicky because I was going to be a long way from home. What if I had an accident on some remote road with no-one around and what if my car was stolen when I stopped to get a coffee at a service station?

All these things came crashing into my mind as I planned my route and then my mum reminded me that I had bought telematics car insurance and that the little box under the dashboard acted as a GPS device to help the police locate the vehicle if it was stolen.

And then she remembered that it also had the capability to give off an accident alert warning if the signals sent to my insurer’s technical centre showed the car had experienced a strong impact or unusual G forces and then someone would contact me to make sure I was safe.

Aaaaagh! Peace of mind.

So, I was set - my sat nav plugged in, my telematics car insurance in place, a full tank of petrol and my comfy driving shoes – and off I went to the wedding. It was just a pity that my all-singing, all-dancing car insurance couldn’t reserve me a space in the car park as once I found a parking space it was almost half-a-mile’s walk back to the church.

Image © Eleventh Earl of Mar via Flickr, under Creative Commons Licence

Labels: ,


Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home