Monday, July 2, 2012

 

Girl power goes crazy in the proscenium arch

I was merely a tiny tot when the Spice Girls hit the charts and told the world they were the epitome of Girl Power…and I loved them for it. 

I didn’t have a favourite group member but possibly due to my age, and my mum’s penchant for putting me in pig tails, when I danced and sang to their hits everyone would call me Baby Spice.

As I hit teenagedom and started having my first rows with boyfriends and girlfriends, so the group echoed my life and they finally split up, leaving me and their millions of other fans pretty devastated.

But I never forgot the lessons they had taught me and I was determined to show how strong I was.

I became an engineering student at my local college (one girl in a class of 18 boys), I passed my driving test before my brother (who was two years older than me and rubbish at driving) and I even got cheap car insurance (because I’m a woman). I went out into the world, got a fantastic job, spiced up my life and now, after meeting my partner, two have become one.

As time went on, I have followed the fortunes of all the girls, and although I can’t say I’m a fan of some of the paths they’ve chosen (Posh Spice, I’m talking to you – yours is not a healthy body image for young women) I was thrilled to hear that the Spice Girl’s songs are going to be turned into a musical.

Viva Forever! will be opening in London in December and I have to say, I can’t wait. I’m not sure whether my other half will want to go, but as the song says, if he wants to be with me, he’ll have to get with my friends…and the Spice Girls are definitely my friends. Zigazig ah!    

Image © .Martin. via Flickr, under Creative Commons Licence

Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home