Monday, October 10, 2011

 

A trunk in the road

I’ve visited a safari park before and had a lovely time. I felt safe in my locked car while observing the animals in their compounds.

Mind you, although when I went I travelled at a pretty slow speed, I didn’t expect to be caught in a traffic jam.

During the recent early October heat wave, visitors to a safari park in the West Midlands had sit it out when a mischievous resident settled down to take a nap.

Five, a five-and-a-half ton African elephant, quite possibly decided that the hot conditions were a little too much for him and promptly dropped down to have a sleep – slap bang across the main road.

There is only so much time you can spend observing a sleeping elephant, but I don’t think that I would like to mess with such a hefty creature! The drivers must have felt the same way (well, they probably didn’t have much choice!) and finally carried on their tour after Five had woken from his slumber and trudged off to another spot.

I like to think that he had taken the opportunity to daydream about what it would be like to drive his own car. I’m not sure he’d find a vehicle able to sustain his weight, and using a trunk to steer would probably make it tricky to find a car insurance quote!

Photo © sarahemcc via Flickr, under Creative Commons Licence

Labels: , , , , ,


Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home