Friday, August 17, 2012

 

Distracted driving during the summer

Have you ever been tooted at because you’re wearing a pretty skirt?

I know that, depending on my mood, it either makes me smile or makes me grumble about sexism and so on. 

From now on though, as well as smiling or grumbling, I’ll also be thinking about a set of statistics I read recently.

A poll of 2,142 motorists, conducted by a car insurance company, showed that 60% of male drivers and 12% of female drivers had become distracted by pedestrians during the summer.

Why during the summer?  Well it’s the extra skin on show which does it apparently, and even models on billboards can cause some road users to take their eyes off the road.

This is worrying, because a large proportion of traffic accidents involve some type of distracted driving.

Still, I’m not going to let this stop me from enjoying the summer months and wearing all those nice clothes I enjoy prancing around in when it’s warm enough for me to do so.

Drivers just need to have a little more self-control, that’s all.  I mean, it’s not like I’m wearing a bikini! It’s a knee-length skirt for goodness sake!

Photo © ...love Maegan via Flickr, under Creative Commons Licence

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,


Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home