Tuesday, August 28, 2012

 

When more spaces mean less space

In some UK town centres it can be quite difficult finding somewhere to park your car.  I know I’ve had problems before when I’ve gone round and round for a while and then had to give up and search for roadside spaces down residential streets instead.

I don’t like parking up on a roadside next to someone’s home because I feel that I might be in the way.  Obviously I don’t park in front of people’s driveways, but I always wonder if they look out of their window, see my vehicle sat there, and think ‘Now where’s Lucy going to park when she comes over today?’, or something similar. 

Thankfully, many councils are trying to improve parking for motorists and are finding ways of increasing the number of bays available. 

However, Leicester City Council recently showed everyone that creating new spaces isn’t as easy as you may have imagined. 

Employing a contractor to paint new bays along a street, the council didn’t plan the work well enough and made a bit of a mess of it all. 

Motorists found that when all the spaces were in use, there was only a gap a little under one metre left for drivers to fit through.  Needless to say, you can’t fit a car through a gap of that size, and people were not pleased.

The mistake has since been rectified, and hopefully Leicester City Council will plan work better in the future…

Photo © compujeramey via Flickr, under Creative Commons Licence

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,


Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home